Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question or concern, do take a look and see if we have it covered below.

If not, please feel free to get in touch and we would be more than happy to help.

• Do you provide housing for students?

Currently, HHAC does not provide housing accommodations for students. However, there are several options to consider including room-share, apartments, and condominiums for rent in the area. We recommend searching for current rentals available in or near Kailua (Oahu). Students willing to drive or use public transportation are encouraged to research for student rentals for accommodations in Waikiki, Manoa Valley, and other areas.

We understand that searching for housing accommodations in an unfamiliar location can become quite overwhelming and/or difficult for some, since we have had previous experience with students seeking our help in this situation. Therefore, we can definitely provide as much guidance and assistance that we possibly can for our students.

• I’m from the mainland: what kind of town is Kailua?

Kailua Beach has repeatedly been ranked as one of the best beaches in the world.  Residents and tourists alike enjoy snorkeling, kayaking, kitesurfing, windsurfing, surfing, and fishing.  The white sand beach lined with ironwood trees is ideal for sunbathing and family get-togethers. From Kailua, it is only a 20 minute drive over the Ko’olau mountain range to Honolulu.

For more information, read about Kailua here:

• Can I have a job while attending HHAC?

Yes!  Part-time class meets two weekday evenings each week (Monday & Wednesday) from 6pm-9pm and Saturdays 9am-5pm. The intensive classes meet Monday-Friday 8:30am-12:30pm leaving plenty of time for outside employment. Days and times may adjust throughout the program(s).

• How big are the classes at HHAC?

Although our class sizes vary throughout each program and throughout the year. We average about 8-12 students per class, sometimes more and sometimes less. Most of our instructors are graduates of the HHAC.

• What is the difference between a Department of Education Certified school and an Apprenticeship program?

Hawaii Healing Arts College is a 600 hour accredited diploma program in massage therapy. The curriculum at Hawaii Healing Arts College is fully approved by the Department of Education and meets the standards for licensing by the Hawaii State Board of Massage Therapy. Our all-inclusive program offers students basic and advanced training in both science and practical hands-on massage methods. In addition to the 410 classroom hours taught by our experienced DOE Certified Instructors, our students complete a 190-hour clinic internship at Massage Professionals. Massage Professionals is our state of the art massage clinic housed in the same building as Hawaii Healing Arts College. Massage Professionals is a serene spa-like setting where students work along side licensed massage therapists gaining professional experience as they perform 150 1-hour full body massages in private massage suites. Our interns evolve their massages as they learn various modalities in the classroom and integrate these advanced techniques into their full body massages. The experience our students gain during their diverse classroom and practical hands-on internship fully prepares our graduates for a successful career as licensed massage therapists.

Apprentice programs consist of 150 hours of classroom training and 420 hours of practical massage therapy training. Apprentices must first complete 50 hours of anatomy and physiology, as well as 100 hours of massage theory and practice courses at a Hawaii State Board of Massage approved establishment. Once the coursework is complete, the candidate must seek out and make their own arrangements with a massage therapist who is willing and qualified to sponsor massage apprentices. The candidate must then apply for a permit with the Hawaii State Board of Massage Therapy and have their sponsoring massage therapist approved prior to the apprentice training. The practical training is supervised by the sponsoring massage therapist who is not required to be a DOE Certified instructor and no additional classroom hours of training is necessary.

Apprenticeship programs are very unique to Hawaii and often NOT accepted by other states.  Please make sure to check if you are planning to bring your massage education back to the mainland that the massage school in Hawaii you are considering is NOT an apprenticeship program.

• If I graduate from your program, will I be able to work in other countries/states?

Our program prepares students to pass licensure testing in the State of Hawaii as well as the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLex) governed and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). Currently, the MBLex is utilized for licensure in 44 of the 48 regulated states, the District of Columbia, as well as the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is important to check with your local regulations agency to find out requirements for massage therapists in your area.

• Does HHAC accept International Students?

Students come to HHAC from all over the world: Japan, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Austria, Switzerland, Brazil, Philippines, Thailand and many more.

Hawaii Healing Arts College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. International students must have completed an I-20 form to enter the country and/or attend classes. Prospective international students may enroll by appointment in person or by telephone with an administrative representative. Please contact us for more information about guidelines and conditions.